Monday, February 28, 2011

Trashelor


I'm not that old but I am old enough to remember when there wasn't reality TV.  Remember the days when you would watch a TV show and before the episode started a narrator would say 'Cheers is filmed before a live studio audience'?  You could actually hear laughing in the background of the show.  Weird... I know.

Fast forward to today.  Here I am sitting in front of the TV watching trash TV that they call The Bachelor.  I would like to say that I am not paying any attention to what is happening on this show, but that would be a lie.  I am into it and I have a hard time not watching this train wreck. 

Who came up with this concept?  Let's put one man and 20 women together and see them fight it out until it is one man and one woman left.  Did they honestly think that at the end these two would be in love?  I think that you can fall in love many different ways... probably an endless number of possibilities.  However, I have my doubts about this show and the validity (I don't even feel right using the word validity in the same breath as the Bachelor). 

So why do we watch this stuff?  Is it because it is like a train wreck?  Is it because we honestly believe that we are seeing people fall in love?  Do we believe it's real?

Things to keep in mind....
1. One chochy guy and 20 HOT women... not a real world situation
2. Traveling around the world going on lavish dates.... not a real world situation
3. Making out (who knows what else they do) with multiple women and the other women stay with him.... not a real world situation (probably could be real, but not socially acceptable)
4. These 'reality shows' have editors and writers.  Reality shouldn't need writers.
5. Guys on this show talk about their feelings a lot... Not sure this is what happens until maybe after 'a good while' of dating.
6. Why aren't there fat/ugly people in this show? 

Maybe I am just getting old and showing my age by asking these questions, but let's bring back the sitcom.  A show with laughing in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment